Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Transfer Complete - La Prensa Area with Elder Abarca from Peru

Dear Dad,

Thanks for the emails and the advice/support. They are really appreciated. My new companion is Elder Abarca, he is from Peru and he´s only been in the mission two weeks longer than me. My area is La Prensa and it´s more inland. I can see the ocean from my area but I would have to take a bus to get to it. WE do have some investigators right now. They are from Bolivia and it´s a huge family that we are working with. The main problems that they have are that they need to get married and they need to go to church. My chapel right now is being renovated and that is going to take til the end of the month to finish and in the mean time we are going to a chapel that´s about 15 minutes away in car. And on Sunday we have to coordinate a ton to get rides for all of the people that can´t drive themselves. The problem is that a lot of the members with cars weren´t here last week and so we had to really scramble and my companion and I were basically hitchiking to get a ride to church. It was definitely interesting. My transfer experience was interesting because I went in bus and traveled 6 hours and of those 6 hours 5 of them were spent talking to Elder Blatter. He was my zone leader and now he´s a district leader in my zone. There´s a whole lot of weird stuff about why they dropped him from zone leader to district leader but he seems happy now so it doesn´t really matter to me. I heard from him basically the history of his mission and all of the things that he learned as a missionary. It was way cool to be able to talk to him and now we´re really good friends. He gave me the advice to always love my companion and to always try to have fun. The other main thing that he told me is that I should take what I learned in my last area and try to build off of that here in Comodoro. I think it´ll be really cool to see how that works out for me. The main updates from the area and from the week are that we had interviews with the president yesterday and he told me that he basically wants me and my companion to be co companions. Meaning that he gave me permission to help my companion work the area the best way possible. My companion has not had the best experience with his other companions and because of that he had really no idea of how to work an area by himself so now I´m helping him learn how to be a missionary in the best way possible and I´m also trying to work the area. I respect him a lot as a person because of the things he´s done for me and for other people but I can tell that he doesn´t have a lot of experience as a missionary. The other main thing that happened was that I got sick on Monday. I drank some juice in a member´s house that hit my stomach wrong and I was throwing up all night and finally at about 3 in the morning my stomach started to calm down. Right now I just have little to no appetite and I don´t really trust a lot of the food or water anymore. My companion was awesome though because he stayed up all night with me and he cleaned up the mess I made in the bathroom. I am way glad that he was willing to do that for me. I´m doing a lot better now though minus my appetite. I think that I´ll be fine though. Just another wonderful experience that comes from being on the mission. =) Love you guys tons! Have a wonderful week.
Last photo of Trelew Zone

Rain Flood Taken by another Elder

Trelew Zone having Lunch

Trelew Zone Goodbyes
  My pension is tiny but good. It´s less than half the size of the pension I had in Trelew but it´s comfortable. I have pictures but the computer is being weird so I´ll send them to you next week. I have been taking charge so far and I have helped my companion become a lot more organized and he seems to be doing better as an Elder now which is good. It´ll be fun to see how things play out this transfer as far as that´s concerned. Thanks for the advice though, I really do appreciate it.

Love, Michael


Dear Mom,

Thanks for the email and the updates about the family and everything. I love hearing from you guys. The move was really interesting for me. It´s the first time that I have changed areas and companions and it´s been a bit of an adventure. My pension now is less than half the size of the one I had in Trelew but it´s comfortably small. I have pictures but there´s something odd with the computer and I can´t send them to you guys this week. I´ll just see if I can send a lot of pictures next week instead. My companion is interesting. I have a lot of respect for him as a person and we get along well together but he´s a little bit odd. He does some things that make me wonder if he´s really being serious or if he´s just not thinking. But he´s fun. He makes the days a little bit happier and more interesting. So I´m enjoying things. The new area that I have is really big. It takes us about an hour to walk from one limit of the area to the other which is crazy and when I got here we had just about nobody to go visit but now our schedule is getting filled out with people that we can go teach and we´re also finding new people. The work here is odd because there are days when things go just about perfectly and then there are days when it seems like little to nothing is going well. But I think that this area is definitely one that if worked right and prepared can be one that will lift the spirits of whatever missionary comes into it which is really cool. So, as of right now my goal is just to get this area prepared for whatever missionary comes into it next. It´s going to be interesting to see how that turns out for me in the next couple of weeks. I also bought myself a pillow yesterday and it is the greatest thing ever. Last night I had the best night´s sleep that I have had in weeks. I love my pillow! Thanks for the money that you sent me. I love you guys a ton. The other thing that I have to tell you is that I got sick for the first time in my mission on Monday night and I was throwing up til about 3 in the morning. That was an experience that I do not want to repeat. I forgot how much throwing up takes out of your body. I think that I dropped a couple pounds that day and I feel really tired right now. But, I´m starting to get better and at the very least I´m able to keep food down again. The water here in Comodoro is not to be trusted. My companion and I are figuring out a good way to get around that though by buying or boiling the water that we are going to drink which is fantastic. Crazy things in the mission. I love you guys tons and hope you have a great week. Talk to you again on Monday.

Love, Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment